Saturday, October 08, 2005

[Sports]

Northwestern?!

Although I chose to ignore the possibility, at the back of my mind doubts gnawed. The Badgers, supposed to be cellar dwellers in the Big Ten this year, were suddenly undefeated and ranked 14th. Looking out over the horizon, trouble lurked in Minneapolis and State College, but the Wisconsin hopeful had visions of a ten-win season dancing in their heads. And just think, after this weekend, we'd be 6-0, riding atop the conference with Penn State or the Bucks. We had to beat lowly Northwestern, but this barely merited playing.

Whoops. I guess Northwestern wasn't alerted to the storyline--they put up 51 this afternoon and embarrassed me beloved Badgers. But I have to admit that the possibility bothered me all day. The Badgers have a great tendency to pull this kind of thing. Oh fate! why must you taunt Wisconsin fans so?

(The Red Sox, to add insult to my injury, also lost, get swept unceremonially from the post-season. A short reign, quickly relinquished.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't say Northwestern is really a lowly opponent. Their offense is pretty explosive despite the defensive woes. Also, this is the same team that almost beat Penn State.

I may be a Northwestern football fan, but I like to think I have a realistic idea of what this team is and what it isn't. And if it's any consolation, Northwestern got more top-25 votes in the polls this week than Michigan.