Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Final Palin/Couric Interview

I'll give CBS credit for milking their exclusive interview with Sarah Palin. What's it been, a week where they've been slowly doling out interviews while the campaign has otherwise kept her behind an iron curtain? In the final installment, Palin comes clean on three issues she actually holds and believes (as opposed to those she lip-synchs)--three which might cause her trouble.

1. Abortion. Key exchange:
Couric: If a 15-year-old is raped by her father, do you believe it should be illegal for her to get an abortion, and why?

Palin: I am pro-life. And I'm unapologetic in my position that I am pro-life. And I understand there are good people on both sides of the abortion debate.
There's more investigation to be done here--it's not clear where Palin stands on the law ("should anyone end up in jail for having an … abortion, absolutely not"). Still, this is definitely not in the mainstream. Polls show this view is shared by only 10%-15% of Americans, one of the most consistent findings across the years. By contrast, about 55% think it should be legal always or in most cases.

2. Creationism. Key exchange:
Couric: Do you believe evolution should be taught as an accepted scientific principle or as one of several theories?

Palin: Oh, I think it should be taught as an accepted principle.
This is actually not an unpopular position, but I suspect it will tend to further erode confidence by swing voters who already think she's dangerously nutty while endearing her all the more to the base.

3. Homosexuality as a choice. This is one of those "one of my best friends is black" comments that says a lot more about Palin than it does about gays and lesbians:
But what you're talking about, I think, value here, what my position is on homosexuality and you can pray it away, because I think that was the title that was listed on that bulletin. And you know, I don't know what prayers are worthy of being prayed. I don't know what's prayers are going to be asked and answered. But as for homosexuality, I am not going to judge Americans and the decisions that they make in their adult personal relationships. I have one of my absolute best friends for the last 30 years happens to be gay, and I love her dearly. And she is not my "gay friend," she is one of my best friends, who happens to have made a choice that isn't a choice that I have made. But I am not going to judge people.
Again, this won't hurt her with the base, but it will create a bit of a stir.

No comments: