Friday, January 20, 2006

[Spying]

Iggi on Cookies.

I'm generally pretty ignorant about how the internet functions, but I've generally sided with the libertarians on tracking data. Now with the news that the Feds are trying to subpeona Google on their search records, and the additional news that Bush is data-mining my email, I've become generally right paranoid. At Divine Invasion, Iggi sets the record straight on cookies.
So, I keep seeing the Lefty blogs freaking out about the NSA leaving cookies on visitors computers - ostensibly to "track return visits" to the NSA's website. The general consensus is that this is evil (not really) and invasive (quite possibly) though there may be some merit to this obscene paranoia seeing as government guidelines disallow setting permanent cookies on users machines. What concerns me is the howling fear emanating from both the Lefties and the Libertarians regarding cookies...cookies are not the enemy. As a programmer, I find this kind of smear talk somewhat offensive. They do not damage your machine, send personal data from your machine, or lie in wait for you to go on vacation so they can steal your mail and eat all the food out of your refrigerator.
Okay, I guess that clarifies part of it. But what about my email!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

all you have to do is quit sending email...then the Fed won't have it on record, lol.

Anonymous said...

and, for the record, the request for Google search logs alarms me much more than any NSA cookie...i don't want the man looking through my search records.

note how Yahoo handed them over without a whimper of dissent (let alone alerting the media), bastards.

Jeff Alworth said...

Yeah, that was alarming. As Yahoo is my principal email vendor, that maybe isn't such good news, either. (Fortunately, I only use google for searches.)

eRobin said...

Fortunately??? What do you have to worry about? And before you answer that, remember that innocent people have nothing to worry about.

Jeff Alworth said...

I have nothing to worry about. But I don't like the idea of Alberto Gonzales (a man I've searched more than a few times on Google) fingering my history.

As to anything else to which you might be obliquely refering, madam, I disregard out of deference to your good name. Surely a mind as unfettered by smut as yours could not think to suggest anything else....