Friday, September 15, 2006

[Art]

Stop Making Sense.

I committed an act of self-abuse this morning when I failed to turn off the audio on the President's press conference. We have transcended the age of art and entered the age of performance-art-as-reality. Bush, in his absolutist mode, is able to accomplish feats of doublespeak that shock the senses. He appears to be sincere, by which one could say that he appears to be insane.

America, having fallen under the same spell of insanity, somehow continues to nod vacantly at his flickering image. We have forgotten the value of the kinds of truth art provides; we have separated ourselves from the divinity of the abstract. The antidote to this madness is not a better argument--it is the observation of the world through the non-conceptual.

To Bush's madness I offer David Byrne, circa 1984. Breathe the fresh air.

1 comment:

Chuck Butcher said...

Jeff, fortunately I left for an added work day about the time the POTUS started up, and the truck's radio has been broken for about 6 years. Look, sometimes I think I'm hanging onto my sanity by a thread with this abuse going on. I'm pretty sure my head would've exploded if I'd been subjected to it this morning.

I'm 53 years old, with an excellent education and a long term addiction to history and politics and I'm losing the ability to properly process what's going on in this country. I know the "what is going on" but I keep trying to make it fit some rational concept of the USA and just can't do it. If these people would start jibbering and drooling I'd have a handle on it. But...

I can't even seem to manage my conversational little Blog, I get started and just lose it. If I'm not careful I'll be the one jibbering and drooling.