Sunday, February 24, 2008

Year in Quotes

In No Country for Old Men, a slightly dim-witted deputy asks his boss, Sheriff Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) whether the protagonist realizes the danger he's in. Bell replies, " I don't know, he ought to. He's seen the same things I've seen, and it's certainly made an impression on me." These are the quotes that made an impression on me throughout the year (writers in parens).

Lives of Others (Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck)
Captain Gerd Wiesler (Ulrich Mühe): An innocent prisoner will become more angry by the hour due to the injustice suffered. He will shout and rage. A guilty prisoner becomes more calm and quiet. Or he cries. He knows he's there for a reason. The best way to establish guilt or innocence is non-stop interrogation.


Superbad
(Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg)
Fogell (Christopher Mintz-Plasse): I am McLovin!


There Will Be Blood
(Paul Thomas Anderson)
Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis): I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people…. I see the worst in people. I don't need to look past seeing them to get all I need. I've built my hatreds up over the years, little by little, Henry... to have you here gives me a second breath. I can't keep doing this on my own with these... people.


Juno
(Diablo Cody)
Vanessa Loring (Jennifer Gardner): Your parents are probably wondering where you are.
Juno MacGuff (Ellen Page): Nah... I mean, I'm already pregnant, so what other kind of shenanigans could I get into?
__________

Juno MacGuff: No, I mean, like, for real. 'Cause you're, like, the coolest person I've ever met, and you don't even have to try, you know...
Paulie Bleeker (Michael Cera): I try really hard, actually.


Ratatouille
(Brad Bird)
Remy:We're thieves, and what we're stealing is, let's be honest, garbage.
Django: It's not stealing if no one wants it.
Remy: If no one want's it, then why are we stealing it?


Darjeeling Limited
(Jason Schwartzman, Roman Coppola, Wes Anderson)
Jack (Jason Schwartzman): What did he say?
Peter (Adrien Brody): He said the train is lost.
Jack: How can a train be lost? It's on rails.


Once
(John Carney)
Guy (Glen Hansard): [song finishes] Well, what do you think? Do you like it? It's just a demo, you know...
Guy's Dad (Bill Hodnett): It's fucking brilliant.
Guy Really?
Guy's Dad: Fantastic stuff. That'll be a hit, no question.


Hot Fuzz
(Simon Pegg & Edgar Wright)
Nicholas Angel (Simon Pegg): Mr. Porter, what's your wine selection?
Roy Porter (Peter Wight): Oh, we've got red... and, er... white?
Nicholas Angel: I'll have a pint of lager, please.


No Country for Old Men (Joel & Ethan Coen/Cormac McCarthy)

Wendell (Garret Dillahunt): It's a mess, ain't it, sheriff?
Sheriff Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.

No comments: