Friday, March 07, 2008

Memoir of a Half-Life

According to actuarial tables, the average American can expect to live to 78 (45th in the world, in front of Denmark and Ireland, but behind Bosnia and Puerto Rico). If you figure in that I'm healthier, skinnier, and eat better than the average American, I can probably expect to live a little longer, barring violent interactions with busses, black widows, icy sidewalks, and hantavirus. (Here's a couple of calculators to see where you fit in: one, two.) For the sake of argument, let's say I have an expiration date of about 80 years. The upshot is that since passing my 40th birthday in January, I embark on the second half of life.

I'm going to try something experimental here in my dark little corner of the internet. I've begun a brief little memoir looking back on those forty years. About once a week, I'll post a chapter, and link it at the side so it's easy to follow through if you miss a bit coming in late. I don't really know where it's headed, but since I'm only going to pass the halfway mark once I thought I'd take advantage and make a few notes. What the hell--that's what blogs are for, right?

The Introduction begins here.

No comments: